1200 Calorie Diet Plan
Dieting has become a very hot topic these days because of both health and aesthetic reasons. People take up dieting with great enthusiasm but somewhere at the middle of the road they lose interest and start eating all those calorie-rich tasty food. The people who does not lose interest manage to lose some weight but they face another type of problem. They do not know how to maintain it in order to avoid going to their previous size.
If you want to maintain your healthy body weight, then you will have to keep the count of calories you consume. The calories you consume are used up by the body to perform its activities and functions. But not all calories are used up. These are the unused calories that adds up to your body weight. Therefore, the amount of calories you consume each day should always be less than the amount of calories get used by your body to perform its normal functions. Since, it is not very easy for everyone for everyone to determine how many calories are used by their body and how many calories they must consume, it is better to follow a 1200 calorie diet plan.
A 1200 calorie diet can never go wrong. However, the results may vary depending on what dieters consume. This means that you cannot expect to see positive results by consuming 1200 calories in a day through chocolates, junk food, sugary treats and all sorts of food that are prohibited during dieting. You must consume a balanced and nutritious diet which comprises of all the essential minerals, vitamins and other nutrients. If you will not take a proper balanced and nutritious diet, then this could cause negative effects like dull and rough skin, lethargy, limp hair etc.
1200 calorie diet works best for women. For men, the calorie intake has to be extended to 1800 calories each day. This is because, men have less fat and more muscles as compared to women. So, they would burn more number of calories even when they are resting.
Photo from DrOz
Why 1200 Calories Diet Only?
Well, this is because a person’s body require calorie intake between 1200-1800 each day. It is true that a person’s calorie intake should be determined on the basis of its sex, activity level, metabolism, height, weight, age and medical conditions. A person can calculate minimum calorie requirement of its body through Basal Metabolic Rate abbreviated as (BMR). On an average, a person requires at least 1200 calories each day. Amount of calories lesser than that will signal your brain to slow down metabolism. As a result, your body will start extracting energy muscles while conserving your body fat.
The Diet Menu of 1200 Calories
It is often suggested that you must take 5 to 6 small each day instead of taking three heavy meals. The 1200 calorie diet plan also follows the same rule. 1200 calories for each day are divided among 6 meals. The 3 meals which are breakfast, lunch and dinner are of 300 calories each. Thus, the total of 900 calories is consumed in these 3 meals. The remaining 300 calories are divided among healthy snacks and beverages. It is better that dieters following this diet plan consume unprocessed, whole foods like fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, whole grains and dairy and poultry products. Dieters must strictly avoid processed foods and starchy vegetables like potatoes to see positive results. Calcium and multivitamin supplements are allowed with this 1200 calorie diet plan.
Benefits of 1200 Calorie Diet Plan
- Weight loss in a 1200 calorie diet plan is immediate. This is because during this diet plan, you will always be consuming fewer calories than your body can burn each day.
- During this diet plan, you consume food that are high in dietary fibre but low on calories. This would give you feeling of being full while keeping your count of calorie low.
- One of the best sources of food in this diet plan are fresh vegetables, especially the green vegetables. These sources contain very less calories with respect to other food sources and can fill you enough. Thus, hunger pains will not be a problem.
- During the 1200 calorie diet plan, you will not have to forcefully consume food items which you dislike. This is because, while on this diet plan you do not have to consume only the specific food items while avoid the others.
- You can eat whatever you wish to eat as long as your calorie count for the day does not exceed 1200.
- If you have some specific dietary requirements like vegetarian, diabetic etc. then you can plan your entire diet around the food items you can consume and easily avoid those which you cannot.
- You can see very quick results in the 1200 calorie diet plan. These quick result provides the motivation to continue with the diet plan even when it becomes extremely tough to do so.
- You do not have to buy expensive food items for this diet plan. You can buy whatever foods fits in your budget.
This diet plan can even help in keeping all the cardiac ailments and complaints at bay.
Drawbacks of 1200 calorie Diet Plan
- While on this diet plan, you have to keep a close track on the intake of your calories each day. To do this, you will have to check the calorie content of each food item you have. This can be a really tough task for those who have never done this before and irritating too.
- If the dieters fail to plan their meal properly, then their body can lack certain essential nutrients which is obviously not good.
- This diet plan does not involve any physical exercise. It is practically impossible to exercise due to lack of energy.
- This diet plan might not suit everyone and cause nausea, hunger and other side effects in them.
- The 1200 calorie diet is a very great diet plan for those, who want to shed off their extra weight quickly without the risk of nutritional deficiencies.